-1yr old hen goes broody on 21 eggs!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by floridagirl13, Aug 13, 2014.

1. floridagirl13

floridagirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Hampden County, MA
    This spring we got twin pullets from a neighbor. Yes twins, their momma hatched them from a double yolker. Crazy as that may sound. A couple months into laying one if the gals seemingly disappeared. After a couple weeks of not seeing her we found out she set up shop above a horse stall and had been stealing hay for her nest. When we finally figured out where she was we waited for her to come down to see how many eggs she had. 21 little green eggs under that little lady! Long story short, above a horse stall is no safe place to hatch chicks so we've refurbished an old aquarium into an incubator. She was up there for about 3 weeks when we removed the eggs so we are expecting barnyard beauty bantams any day now. Brooder is ready and waiting for them!

I think 21 eggs for a young ladies first clutch is outrageous, what is the largest clutch y'alls hens have ever layed on? And was anyone else ever had twins hatch from a double yolker before?

2. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Congrats on the broody! What breed? 21 is a bit much but she should be fine. Chicken eggs take 21 days to hatch. If she can't handle all of them you can always put some in a brooder.

3. floridagirl13

May 18, 2013
    Hampden County, MA
    The hens & the rooster came from the same neighbor. I believe he called them jungle runners or something like that. The hens have gold feathers on their heads & necks the rest of their bodies have a sort of gray/brown dirt color. I will have to see if i can get them to sit still so i can get pics

4. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Red Jungle Fowl? 21 eggs is way too much. Take about 10 away.

5. floridagirl13

May 18, 2013
    Hampden County, MA
    We've taken them all and put them in the incubator. The main reason we took them she just hopped down from the ceiling one day and never went back.The nest was in between the barn ceiling and hay loft floor above an occupied horse stall so it wouldve been bad news if they had hatched up there

6. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Hm. Don't let her brood in the future. I'm afraid she wouldn't be a very good mother. But I wanted to correct myself and say that RJL can only handle about 6 bantam eggs at most. Only about 3 LF eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by