1yr old hens new to me, 6 weeks still no eggs!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by missfitch, Apr 6, 2009.

1. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    So I have two new girls, two RIR hens, have had them three days, no eggs but really didnt expect any this soon with the move and all. But they wont come out of the coop, I have moved them to the run a couple of times and they just go right back in, they were never in outdoor runs before so Im not sure how to transition, they seem so upset. They came from a group of 30 and now its just these two ladies. I hope I havent upset them too badly, not sure what to do ( and they wont come out for treats either!)

They have been out for a long time now (easter) and still no eggs, its been 6+ weeks???????

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Just leave the door open during the day. Sooner or later they'll get up the courage to venture out.

3. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Quote:I agree and you can still take them out once in awhile until they learn to do it on thier own. Good luck

4. crazy for chicken

crazy for chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Voorheesville
    bring them ou:thumbsupt in the run and sit with them and give them some bread out in the run and they need more time.. they will come around

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The more you try to force them to do something they don't want to do, the longer it will be before they start laying again. Just leave the door open for them, they will go out when they are ready. Make sure they have food and water available. They will be fine once they make up their mind that your place is their new home.

6. missfitch

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    its been open for three days, they can come and go as they please, but they wish not to come out, never had chickens afraid of the grass before, I have put treats out and sprinkled feed in the grass, The coop is only 3ft by 4 ft by 4ft high, there are only two hens, but we put a 6 foot run so they had more room, I did not intend for them to just live inside or I would have built bigger, well, I will keep you posted.

7. missfitch

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    Today is day 4, still no eggs, still no chickens coming out, Hope their alright!

8. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Don't worry. They're just totally confused because they "lost" their flock and they're in new digs. Just keep doing what you're doing. Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks or more before they relax. They don't know how lucky they are! But when they do, they'll thank you for it! [​IMG]

9. missfitch

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    hmmm, well today marks 7 days, no eggs no chickens coming out, I have left them alone for days with just giving them food and water, Im feeling like I SUCK! any new suggestions, I was hoping to have atleast one egg by Easter.

10. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    You may have to wait a lot longer than 7 days for them to lay.

how old are they? that is question number one, and also it can take about 3 weeks for them to settle in. it will also depend on the breed.

if you get eggs after just a week then you are lucky, it does happen, but there is no guarantee.

I think you need to relax and let them find their own way around and they will settle down and start to lay as well, before you know it.

You are doing well. they are fed and watered, and you have given them treats. they will come around soon, stop worrying.

If you relax a little maybe they will too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by