1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 1/2 month RI Chicks are pecking my shoes off

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jsimplytx125, May 19, 2009.

1. jsimplytx125

jsimplytx125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    [​IMG] I love my hens , I do, but why are they stampeding me and pecking at my feet so much? They have scratch all day and a cabbage every 3 days besides any vegetable scraps as they come. They are getting very big and it's beginning to really hurt! God forbid I wear flip flops in the yard. Any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Do not wear shiny shoes or bright colored ones. If you wear flip flops, your toenails shine so they peck. They love shiny things. And they hate hot pink kitty slippers.

3. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    My mom had a pet chicken (a white rock) named Fluffy. She was spoiled rotten. This was back in the eighty's, when those high top reboks had just come out. She was normally quite laid back, would come running when we went out to her and would follow us around the yard, but if i wore those shoes she had an ever lovin' fit. She would FLOG [​IMG] my shoes and peck at me and growl. I would actually wear those shoes every once in awhile to irritate my mom. [​IMG]

4. jsimplytx125

jsimplytx125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hot Pink Kitty Slippers ay; Got it. I'm on the way to the store!
    thanks! [​IMG]

5. Muzzie

Muzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Connecticut
    water gun works on my chickens they hate it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by