2 1/2 months of laying, and the eggs are still really small?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pet Duck Boy, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I've been impressed about the number of eggs laid by my five 7+ month old girls, it's usually 3-5 a day, and VERY rarely less than 3. The size of eggs on the otherhand are pretty disapointing. Maybe half an inch to a quater of an inch bigger than the first eggs. Still dwarfed by the large store-bought eggs. I've only gotton ONE double yoker during this whole time, from my EE, and it was only about the size of a store-bought egg! I treat mine all the time, plain yogurt, brown rice, cheese, cottage cheese, boss, spinach, scratch, bananas, grapes, watermelon, fish, you name it! When will the egg size increase?

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Well, first, some breeds don't lay very big eggs, and i didn't see what sort of chickens you have.

But aside from that, i have chicken breeds that are supposed to lay large eggs. They are now a year old, and i have just recently started getting about half legitimately large eggs. I weigh mine and keep track, so i know exactly what category they fall into. Most of my eggs have been medium sized. I am told that they usually lay larger eggs after their first molt. I am waiting to see.

3. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Says in my signiture, thought someone would look but I have 3 RIRs and 2 EEs. Have yours had their first molt yet or no?

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Sorry, i don't know how i missed your sig the first time. [​IMG] I also have RIR, plus Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons. I'm pretty sure that my BOs are the ones laying most of the large eggs though.

Mine have not had their first big molt yet, but i think they're getting close. They did have what i've heard called - a mini-molt- at about the six month mark. My egg production has really gone down lately, so i think maybe my main flock is getting ready to molt. But i don't know.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have a 1 1/2 year old RIR and an EE the same age. My RIR lays an average sized egg, not small but not overly large either. She has not gone through her first molt yet, though she really could use it, she looks awful. My EE lays very large eggs and also has not gone through her first molt.

My BR has molted and her eggs went from large to jumbo after her molt.

Not sure I'm much help, but I just thought I'd let you know, they will get bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by