1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 1/2 week old broiler with slipped tendon

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CathyB59, Oct 2, 2011.

1. CathyB59

CathyB59 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    SE Montana
    Hello. I have a batch of cornish X broiler chicks that are 2 1/2 weeks old. I noticed the last couple of days that one has what I think is slipped tendon. One hock is definitely swollen and it puts little to no weight on that leg when it walks around. It is still able to get to the food and water. Should I cull it now to put it out of its misery or wait to see if it can get to cornish game hen size? Thanks for your help.

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi CathyB59,

My feeling is with slipped tendon that the bird can only ever be in pain. You could of course try splinting etc, and that may enable it to get around, but as these birds grow they put a huge amount of stress even on healthy legs.

I'm afraid I would probably cull it early rather than see it suffer. But please don't act before you've heard other views, as perhaps someone else has had success with slipped tendon. With other issues like splayed leg it's fairly easy to fix if spotted early, but I've never had success (in any breed) where the tendon has slipped out of the groove. It may go back in but the trick will be getting it to stay.

Sorry about that, [​IMG]
    Erica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by