2 1/2 week old chick with a broken leg??

GirlieChick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
I THINK it's a broken leg but I'm not certain. The chick can't walk on its leg and it just wobbles around everywhere and chirps a lot. If anyone can tell me what's wrong with it and how to fix it please help. I feel so bad for it!!

It defiantly looks broken. I would put a small splint on the leg. Get a lollypop stick, gauze and some good tape
firmly grab your chick and have someone hold it down.. Grab the leg firmly but gently not to further hurt your chick,put leg in a natural position, then place the stick on the leg, firmly wrap the gauze around the leg and the stick, not to tight though. then tape it all in place.
You could let it heal on it's own but that can turn out with its leg being crooked. Give it some sugary water, vegetables and boiled eggs or scrambled eggs are both good for chicks/chickens and they love it!
Good luck I hope it gets better!

I don't know much about splinting, but try Hypericum for the pain, if your concerned.

I had a chick with a broken beak and it calmed her right down when I gave it to her. Just dissolve it in water and give it to the chick. Its holistic, you'd have to research where to locally get it (my grandmother owned a holistic shop for many years, so we had some on hand).

Would it be bad to break the leg back into place and then put a splint on it? The leg looks like te bowed out now an it won't go into a natural position.

Back
Top Bottom