2 1/2 week old chicks bathing in their food.

NightsInWhiteSilkies

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 3, 2011
I have some 2 1/2 week old silkies.
I grind their medicated chick feed as its easier for them to eat it plus they dont waste near as much but have noticed that two nights in a row now their covered from head to toe in it and tonight saw them trying to bathe in it.
I put some dirt in a pan and put it in there hoping they would bathe in that but they started to eat it so took it out as I wasnt sure at their young age it would be okay for them to eat it. Then I put some sand in there and they started to peck and eat that too. Some have said their too young to be eating dirt and sand so am not sure what to do.
What can I put in there that theyll bathe in or what do you suggest to do if their wanting to bathe maybe take a warm damp paper towel and bathe them myself?

Last edited:
I can just picture those tiny silkies flapping around in their food dish!

You probably need to buy one of those chick feeders so they can only stick their beaks in their food.

And let them have their sand tub back! They've learned by now that sand and dirt isn't really food. Just make sure they have plenty of clean water to wash it down with. It may look like they're eating a lot of it, but they won't really keep over-doing it.

If you want to take advantage of their crops being primed with all that grit, go get them some meal worms or dig up some earth worms if your ground isn't frozen. You'll have entertainment to write home about!

Hehe mine do that too. I find it quite funny. So I purcahsed special chick feeders to prevent this. So not they manage to get enough out then do that on the ground in the food. I cant win

Back
Top Bottom