2 1/2 week old chicks picking feathers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hollyk, Dec 27, 2008.

1. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    I have 23 EE's that are 2 1/2 weeks old. 3 of them have some bald spots on their back just above the budding tail. Is this the result of someone picking the feathers (or should I say fluff) or is it just a normal part of growing the feathers in? There is no red skin or open wounds, the others just grew feathers in and I never saw a bald spot. They are eating chick starter and I never let the feeders go empty, there is lots of room in the brooder box, and I have added leaves and such to keep them busy. Any thoughts on this subject would be a lot of help.

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Could those be cockerels? They are not as well-feathered at that age sometimes. Should fill in over time.

3. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    They might be too hot. We had some chicks that would get to hot and pick out the feathers to cool off.

4. hollyk

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Quote:It is possible they could be cockerels. I ordered just pullets but I know to expect a roo or two. How else can I tell if they are pullets or not?

5. hollyk

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Quote:I know they are not too hot. I have been checking the temp and if anything they are on the cool side. However, they are not showing signs of being too cold. I am wondering if the constant light has them too excited. I am going to change to a red light and see if it nips the picking feathers in the bud.

6. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Around that age, they'll start pulling their own fluff out too. They usually don't want to be held too much either...almost like it's too uncomfortable/painful with the quills coming in. If they have plenty of room (not overcrowded) and the areas that are bald aren't red and irritated...they're probably okay. [​IMG]

7. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    From my experience the cockerels will be starting to "chest bump" or play-fighting. They also seem a little "braver", the first to come out when you have a treat. You could also try the hat trick--wave a hat low over them, the cockerels should stand up taller and the hens should squat down (never tried that one).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by