2 1/2 week old Golden Comets...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by m_herrington, Jun 15, 2008.

1. m_herrington

m_herrington Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    ohio
    My Golden Comet chicks are now 2 1/2 weeks old. I have 26 of them in an extra large dog crate 4ft long and just under 3 ft wide. They are getting big! and they seem to be getting antsy, so i put a few dowel rods in for roosts, which they really seem to like.

I also gave them a small pie tin full of dirt out of the garden yesterday. Is there anything else I can do for them as far as entertainment or something?

I will hopefully be starting the chicken coop this week, I already have the supplies here, so by next weekend they should have some more space.

I also have 15 other chicks, RIR, NHR and auricauna. They are 1 week younger than the comets and at least half the size if not smaller than half the size of the comets. Do you think I will have any problems when trying to put them all together? How long should I wait to introduce them to each other?

thank you.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe 5 of mine may be golden comets- if you have pics I'd love to see! Those girls are going to outgrow your container about this time next week...I'm so pleased with mine in terms of growth and health. Glad to hear yours are doing well, too.

One of my girls at 3.5 weeks-

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  3. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    I have Buff Orp's that are 3 weeks younger than my comets and I put them together in the coop when the buffs were 1 month old (and almost the same size as my comets). The Comets chased them for a day or so--but never really harmed them. We also put out additional water and feed containers to make sure the younger birds had a chance to eat and drink separately from the bigger girls. It has been about a week and they are all fine together, intermingling in the coop. Hope this helps [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. m_herrington

Apr 18, 2008
    ohio
    Thanks for the info.

Some of the chicks went to "grandmas" house today -got some great pictures! As soon as mom emails them to me I will post them!

They do seem to be growing faster than my other chics, but it could just be me.

5. m_herrington

Apr 18, 2008
    ohio
    Here is a picture of one of my golden comet chick... the other photos dont seem to want to upload ATM [​IMG].

[​IMG]

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two Golden Comets that are incredibly affectionate, 'Doe' and 'Goldie' short for Dorothy and Golda. They always greet me first at the coop door and want a ride. They're also the first outdoors, leaders of the brood. I think you're going to be very pleased with these girls.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by