2 1/2 wk old chick with leg problems

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicharomirinda, Oct 3, 2011.

1. chicharomirinda

chicharomirinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Reno, NV
    I just noticed that this black australorp chick is having trouble with her legs. She will be 3 weeks on wednesday. I have 25 chicks. She is one of the smallest chicks and falls over easily and has trouble getting up. Her legs kind of curl up under her. A few times I've seen her flipped over onto her back with her legs straight out. she is able to get up but struggles. Here's some pictures of it. I'd appreciate any advice on what might be going on and what I should do, if anything.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edited to add more photos

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Its hard to tell by your picture. Maybe if you get another one with it standing might help. I had one that's leg was stiff and straight out behind it. We culled it.
    Michele

3. chicharomirinda

Jul 29, 2011
    Reno, NV
    I just added some photos to the original post from when she fell down. I will see if I can get one of her standing.

4. chicharomirinda

Jul 29, 2011
    Reno, NV
    Here's of her standing. It was hard to get. She didn't want to stand.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    her legs look fairly normal from what I can see, you may want to seperate her so she doesn't get trampled when she falls over, I'm not much help, wait for someone more experienced to help

6. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    I would hurry and buy some soluble vitamins (perhaps a general vitamin/mineral tonic), and see about getting some into her. They may help or may not, but it gives her a better chance if the issue is nutritional. If it's some kind of injury or disease, the vitamins won't hurt.
    I hope she gets better!

7. chicharomirinda

Jul 29, 2011
    Reno, NV
    thanks for the tips. I will try vitamins and take a look at that site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by