1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2- 10 week old chicks-Not even in same area or pen are dead.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedRoosterFarm, Aug 3, 2011.

1. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Hi all, I put down a coronation sussex yesterday because it looked like it had a broken back. It tried to stand but legs would just push out from underneath it. 10 weeks old and very healthy. It was puffy but alert. Just figured it got squashed or something. Well today in another building on the farm and a different batch of birds...I found a cuckoo orp same age age with the same thing. I vac. for mereks and respitory so I dont think it mereks. The legs go out in front of the bird and the head/neck just twist around the bird to the back. These birds have been raised on shavings and an occasional trip out to the grass. Suggestions or ideas please.Oh, and this happens in a 12 hour period.
    OK_We figured it out! They are eating insulation for the buildings and we had to remove it-gurrr

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm really sorry but that sounds like Mareks to me. We had a bird with the same exact symptoms. Our bird was a rescue. Have you brought any new birds into your flock recently?

3. RedRoosterFarm

Quote:I do not bring new birds in at all because of diease. Everything I get is vaccinated the day I get it or day old. I also quarintine for 2 months and they are approx an acre apart in a building when quarinteened. Im sure its not mereks because the way its acting. I had Mereks here too a f3ew years ago and the legs would sprawl like 1 in front and 1 in back.
    The heads are twisting and for mereks thats unusual too. I think I will take it in to be tested. Who knows...Thanks!

4. ReikiStar

For a while we didn't think our bird had Mareks either because her legs both went forward (she couldn't stand, would only fall backwards and lay on her side struggling). They don't always present with the classic split. The neck thing is weird but ours had a sort of toricollis (head and neck tucked in, never extending it)...while your bird's neck might be turned, it's still a form of torticollis. And since you've been down that road, it's not outside of reason to think it's back. [​IMG]

I HOPE I'm wrong! What about sending your birds to WSU? They are in Puyallup. We took a bird there for testing of MG/MS (results negative).

5. RedRoosterFarm

I am going to bring 2 down to Puyallup today. They are great and fast on the testing. I will keep you posted.
    Quote:

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Neck twisted around like that sounds like wry neck to me. I have one with wry neck now, sometimes she can get up and walk and other times she falls on her side. Give the bird 2 vitamin E tabs a day. Just cut the end off and squirt it in the mouth.

7. ReikiStar

Quote:
    Fingers crossed that its something treatable!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  8. RedRoosterFarm

I did inject B but I will hit her with E today instead of testing. If by Monday not working I will go have some blood tests done. Thanks!!
    Quote:

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  10. RedRoosterFarm

Thanks! I will check it out.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by