2-3 month old chick having problem with neck

Genereauxfarm

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2019
Hello everyone. I'm hoping to find some answers here as I have been searching for answers but I'm still not sure what's happening with my little chick.
Yesterday evening we came home to one of our chicks struggling to hold its head properly. Things seem slightly worse today. We have separated it from the others .
It may be wry neck but I'm not sure as its possible it could have gotten a neck inury while in the outdoor run from getting its head stuck in the chicken wire (we didn't see this just trying to come up with some answers)
Otherwise the chick is behaving normally. Eating, drinking, walking etc but keeps its head titled to one side. Has anyone experienced this before?
Thanks so much for your expertise and advice as I'm pretty new to keeping chickens.
(Food has nutrients incorporated and chicks have access to an enclosed move able run to foreage)

Attachments

• 20190718_064040.jpg
    20190718_064040.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 9
It may be wry neck but I'm not sure as its possible it could have gotten a neck inury while in the outdoor run from getting its head stuck in the chicken wire (we didn't see this just trying to come up with some answers)
:welcome

I'm sorry about your chick.
Yes, I agree, it looks like Wry Neck. Wry Neck is a symptom - a few common causes are vitamin deficiency, injury/trauma, genetics and disease like Marek's.
Since it's a symptom, then a lot of times the best you can do is try to offer supportive care to see if there is improvement.
I would try 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Offer some egg or tuna as a treat, these also contain a sufficient amount of selenium to help with the uptake of E.

It could be injury, you never know. 2-3 months is the right age for disease like Marek's to also present. Hopefully you will see improvement in a couple of days.

Hello!! And thank you so much for your input. I must have skipped over the B complex suggestion while shopping today but I did get the 400IU vitamin E and 200IU tablet form of selenium.
Any thoughts on dosage? I'd hate to accidently poison the poor little thing.

Hello!! And thank you so much for your input. I must have skipped over the B complex suggestion while shopping today but I did get the 400IU vitamin E and 200IU tablet form of selenium.
Any thoughts on dosage? I'd hate to accidently poison the poor little thing.
Take note in the article that Kiki gave you, when reading about Selenium! It's MICROgrams not Milligrams :)
Hope she feels better soon.

Back
Top Bottom