2-3 week old chick suddenly can't walk? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Baggagolers, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    I recently noticed that one of my sebright/ silkie chicks is unable to walk all of a sudden. When she tries to move she just pushes herself backwards, other than that, everything seems normal. She's eating/drinking/pooping. I've started giving her vitamins through 'sav-a-chick,' a powdered supplement for birds that is put into her drinking water. It's too early to see if this is helping or not, but what do you all suggest? Has anyone had this kind of problem before? Adding on to it, it seems that when I come check on her, she usually has her eyes closed and appears to be sleeping. I figured this is because we put her in a cardboard box with a towel over it ( she still is able to jump out fine!) so it could be because its dark.

2. Baggagolers

Feb 15, 2012
    Any comments appreciated :D

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like vitamin E or B deficiency. Save-a-Chick, while it does contain some vitamins, is mainly an electrolyte supplement. I'd get some Polyvisol infant vitamins(without iron), and giver her a few drops of those. This will give her the needed vitamins quicker and more efficiently.

4. Baggagolers

Feb 15, 2012
    Thanks, Going out now to get some.

5. Baggagolers

Feb 15, 2012
    The chick does not seem to be getting any better, it flops around a lot more. It also leans it's head to the left quite a bit, even when drinking. It's worth noting that it seems to act as if its choking after it eats (though its not), and takes long pauses between each drink of water. We have been giving it vitamins. Any advice to if this actually is vitamin deficiency, how long it would take to recover if it was, or what we should do? :(

6. Baggagolers

Feb 15, 2012
    The chick's head sometimes goes upside down now, any advice please? :(

7. Baggagolers

Feb 15, 2012
    Any advice well appreciated!:)

8. yresim

yresim New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    I don't know about chickens, but in other animals, it generally means: ear parasites, ear infection, or brain tumour.

I am sorry I can't be more helpful. But maybe that can give you something to go on? If you have a farm vet near you, he/she may be willing to take a look for a reasonable price.

9. Baggagolers

Feb 15, 2012
    The chick seems to be getting better after we upped its dosage of vitamins, we were afraid to give it too much before. We are going to try to make it a type of sling so it doesn't have to lay on its side. The only thing that worries me is that sometimes it appears to have trouble getting down food. Could this because it gobbles it up to fast or maybe gets too much to where it's a little difficult to swallow? Thank you for your help, all!

10. Baggagolers

Feb 15, 2012
    Hmmm... I've read about mold poisoning? Anyone had any experience with this?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by