2-3 week old chicks with parasites?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NancyP1, Jul 29, 2011.

1. NancyP1

NancyP1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Hi All. I got a couple of 2-3 week old chicks today to keep my lonely guinea company (he is 5 days). So, I divided my brooder box with a piece of wire mesh. The 2 new little chicks seem to do alot of preening or are they picking at bugs? They are small black chicks..possibly silkies..the legs look like they are getting feathers. They seem to have most of their feathers on the wings, body etc, but the backs look a little bald...Does down itch when they shed it? Does anyone think the little guy will get picked on because of the size and age difference. I plan on keeping them seperate for a while yet...If they have lice or something, I dont want the 5 day old to get it..or is it to late already because they are in the same box?

2. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Growing feathers is very itchy. My chicks are 11 days old, growing feathers, and they preen a lot. They also dig under their wings like they are picking at something, but they have no kind of bugs. Unless your chicks were with a broody that had mites or lice, it's highly unlikely that the chicks have anything.

3. NancyP1

NancyP1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Ok, thanks! That is quite a relief. Saw where you live....beautiful country. Got to travel the Blueridge Parkway last fall...Best road trip ever!

4. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

The view out my picture window is an unobstructed view of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Off the back side of my house, I have a distant view of the Allegheny's. I love my mountains!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by