1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2-3 week old polish bantam - wry neck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by astjitters, Jun 15, 2016.

1. astjitters

astjitters New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    Hello, hoping for some help.

I am raising my first "flock" of chickens, and I believe my polish bantam has wry neck.

I first noticed last night around 7 that it's neck seemed a little crooked. I didn't think much of it, because the chicken acts a little funny sometimes anyways. Before bed I always check my chicks one more time (about 10) and the neck was already twisted around with her head looking right up at me.

I didn't have an extra heat lamp last night, but separated the chick out from the rest in a separate box from the rest, still under the heat lamp. Before I went to sleep I was able to feed it some water with a medicine dropper and some vit E squeezed into that water.

This morning I was able to completely remove the chick from the others, giving it it's own heat lamp, and it's now in my kitchen. I was able to find a store that carries poly vi sol (without iron) but will not be able to get it till lunch.

I'm able to feed the chick water with the dropper. It makes me nervous because I've read you can drown the chicken this way, but I am unable to get it to drink from a bowl. I also can not seem to get it to eat it's chicken feed. Any ideas for this?

This chicken has always been the most stand offish from the beginning, the only one that has refused to take mealworms treats from our hands, the others do. I hate to see a chicken suffer, and I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing, if there is anything else I can do?

How much water does a chick need in a day?i would at least like to make sure I try to give it enough.

Thank you for any help. I get very attached to my animals!

[​IMG]

2. astjitters

astjitters New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    Please, anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by