2- 30 weekers, 2- 26 weekers and -1 23 week old... no eggs :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gbartha, Dec 23, 2016.

1. gbartha

gbartha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2016
    We hatched out our first chicks in June, 4 of the 6 were roos. I have now two 30 weekers (barrred rock mixes), two 26 weekers and one 23 week old (buffs)... no eggs still. One of my 26 weekers (buff) squats when I pet her but still nothing. My 23 weeker usually sleeps between the two larger girls but keeps going in and out of the nestbox. Think I will have to wait till spring?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Winter solstice was this week. Have patience. Days are getting longer, ovulation is imminent.

Day vs. night. As daylight increases vis a vis night, gonads are stimulated, sexual maturity happens and voila - eggs.

What are you feeding them?

3. gbartha

Apr 21, 2016
    Yea I figured that it was due to the short nights. They are being fed on Layer food (16% protein). I bought some cracked corn to feed them in the afternoon. I also have been giving them black sunflower seeds or oatmeal every other day, and meal worms ever other day. They are not free-range. We do let them out for an hour or so but we have a family of red-tailed hawks that live near by as well as a local fisher cat and coyotes. We live in CT.

4. Joe19

Joe19 Just Hatched

Dec 24, 2016
    Mississippi
    I am in the same boat. I have 2 buffs, 2 Easter Eggers, a RIR and a RIR/Black Orp mix. All are between 24 & 30 weeks. I'm seeing a little redness around the face on 1 buff and the RIR but no squatting what so ever. I'm in south Mississippi and our weather has been really crazy. 75 one day 40 the next. Rainy & humid today. Plus the short nights. PLUS they aren't eating the layer pellets like I hoped. (Yes , they get spoiled with scratch). I've cut down on the scratch to almost nothing and I mixed the pellets in water and it helped some. ANYWAY.......I've pretty much surrendered to the fact it's probably going to be spring before I see eggs.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

6. gbartha

Apr 21, 2016
    Got my first egg today!!! Its from one of the buffs. Not sure why my barred rock mixes aren't laying.

[​IMG]

7. Joe19

Joe19 Just Hatched

Dec 24, 2016
    Mississippi
    Congratulations. The waiting is terrible. [​IMG]

8. GOTchickens1978

GOTchickens1978 Just Hatched

Dec 27, 2016
    Im in the same boat with 4 barred rock hens. Theyre 24 weeks and nothing but red faces. No squatting yet.

9. gbartha

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

Its def. one of my 27 weekers. She laid another egg today and then sang her egg song. Not sure which one since both 30 weekers are squatting. My little 24 weeker still has a lighter face and wont squat at all. My 30 weeker barred rocks are also free-loaders. No squatting, no eggs in sight.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by