2 4 week old chicks can't walk help please UPDATE !!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickabator, Jan 6, 2009.

1. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    they were fine yesterday and when i went out this morning 1 can no longer walk and 1 is walking like its leg is broke please help I removed them from the other dittles and put them in a seperate brooder box. I have no clue what is wrong with them.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Poor babies, are they any better today?

3. annmarie

annmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    What do you have them standing on? If it's newspaper or plastic or something else slippery cover it with paper towels or an old towel. I believe it's an injury called spraddle leg that chicks sometimes get when kept on a slippery surface. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will come along to help you.

4. chickabator

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    they are on straw which is on dirt they are in the barn in a brooder that dh made so I don't think it would be spraddle leg.
    I have not been out there yet this morning will let you know shortly

5. chickabator

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    no they are not any better dh is going to cull them they quit eating

6. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    So sorry about that!! [​IMG] Do you think it might be something contagious? Are your other chicks doing fine?

7. chickabator

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    all the other chicks appear to be fine eating good drinking running around like crazy.

8. chickabator

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    the little white laced cornish died last night the barred rock is still holding on but will not eat . all other chicks are doing fine no symptoms what so ever. I have no clue to what is going on this time.

9. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    I'm so sorry!! [​IMG] I wish I had some advice to give ya! [​IMG]

10. chickabator

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    if the other one is not any better tomorrow we will put her down. I can't stand the thought of the poor little thing suffering like that there is no sence in that . it can't help it that it is sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by