2.5 Month old Ameraucanas - Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by plumcreek, Jul 12, 2011.

1. plumcreek

plumcreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Trying again with new pics. I hatched these 8 chicks out. Are there things to look for in Ameraucana chicks to determine sex? With other chicks I have raised it has been obvious by now, but these guys look like little clones to me! THANKS for any help!!!
    Chick ONE
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Chick TWO
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Chick THREE
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Chick FOUR
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Chick FIVE
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Chick SIX
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Chick SEVEN
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Chick EIGHT
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. chick #1 - roo
    chick #2 - hen
    chick #3 - hen
    chick #4 - roo
    chick #5 - hen
    chick #6 - roo
    chick #7 - hen
    chick #8 - roo
    These are just my best guesses I have been wrong before. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get these chicks? I am also a raiser of ameraucanas. I curently have 28 - wheaton, blue wheaton, black, and blue.

1 person likes this.
  3. plumcreek

plumcreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Thanks for your guesses! Is there anything in particular you look for? Or just overall rooishness? These girls are from Paul Smith lines. I bought a blue hen and a black hen that had been with a black roo and incubated the eggs they laid the first week here. I have no idea about what quality they are. Their moms are pretty birds!

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    They all look like hens to me. Ameraucana roosters can be tricky to tell apart sometimes, but generally I see more red if they are boys. There are a couple that look iffy, but I think chances are you have a good amount of hens there.

5. LostGosling

LostGosling Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Hi!
    Peacombs are really hard to sex. Ameraucanas are a little easier than Silkies though, because they don't have that dark skin. In a normal colored chicken, you can tell a rooster by his comb, since it is slightly thicker and redder than the hens.
    I'm fairly positive that:

#1, #4, and #8
    are Cockerels

#2, #3, #5, #6, and #7
    are Pullets

Hope I helped! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    ONE = ROO
    TWO= HEN
    THREE=ROO
    FOUR= ROO
    FIVE= HEN
    SIX= HEN
    SEVEN=HEN
    EIGHT=ROO

Of course these are guesstimates on what mine looked like. I thought many were hens when they were roos [​IMG] GOOD LUCK and hope you get what you want!

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Eight is the one that looks to me like it could be a roo.

8. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    Quote:I'm gonna have to agree

9. roysnider

roysnider Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Mena, AR
    We have Blue Wheaten Ameraucana chickens from Paul Smith as well. They have done well at Poultry Shows in the last year. Our Rooster from Paul Smith won the AOSB class in the Spring show in Little Rock and it was the largest AOSB class we had seen so far at the shows we had attended. We have 8 of the chicks left (Blue Wheaten and Wheaten) from the hatching from the hens and rooster we got from him last summer. We sold quite a few of them.
    We also have Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten and Wheaten from Wayne Meredith that we got in April of this year. Is is easy to tell the pullet from the cockerel in the Wheaten and Blue Wheaten but that is another story in the Black and Blue. Ours are coming up on 12 weeks old and we are pretty sure we can tell the difference in them due to their combs and the way they carry their tail feathers. Of course at this age, they are beginning to do their thing with the hens so that is a definite give away. What we have found is the ones with a light pink comb are the pullets and the ones with the reddish comb and a little larger comb as well as the carriage of the tail feathers.
    This is an awesome breed of chickens and these two breeders have great show birds. Paul Smith's line originally started out of Wayne Meridith's line.

10. devin0

devin0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Fogo Island, NL
    #2, #6, & #8 all look more like Araucanas... or rumpless EE or Ameraucanas.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by