2.5 month old Bantam Cochins (4) SEXING

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by remme, Aug 7, 2013.

1. remme

remme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Here are the first 4 chickens we ever owned. Sold as all sexed hens.......im saying that guy is 25% correct and should stick to his day job. What do you think?!

[​IMG]
    First Guy

[​IMG]
    Second Guy

[​IMG]
    The IFFY One

[​IMG]
    and finally. What I think is Daddy's litl Girl

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    looks like 3 roos and 1 hen.

3. SweetSilver

SweetSilver Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm putting my ignorance out here on display, but aren't those partridge cochins? If so, these are all colored like pullets, the males would be definitely red and green at this age.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.... and if so, tell me what I'm missing....

For now, my vote is 4 pullets.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that there are four pullets. Partridge Cochin males would look a lot different at this age, unless these aren't pure Partridge Cochins. Also, they just don't seem to have a rooster's eye or head; they look more feminine.

5. SweetSilver

Good--I'm not the only one!

Look back on the saddle feathers and see if they are pointy and getting long. All cochin tail feathers seem to be fairly well curved, but cochin pullets have distinctly round ends on their saddle feathers, more obvious than the hackle/neck feathers. Of course, if these are partridge, then their coloring should be a shoe-in for pullets. What I don't know is if there are other colorings close to the partridge where the hen and rooster have similar colorations.

6. remme

remme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    [​IMG]
    Terrible picture but the one in the foreground is one of the "males" and the one in the background is the only "female". All the "males" look like the "male" in this picture.

7. SweetSilver

Well, this just shows the limits of my knowledge. I have owned partridge Wyandottes, and I have owned cochins (all cockerels) but not partridge cochins. I don't even remember when my little cochin guy started growing his (very obvious) long, very pointy saddle feathers, which I am not seeing on your "guy" at the front. And since I didn't have any partridge Wyandotte pullets [​IMG], I never noticed when the boys developed into their red-and-green feathering.

But I see what you are seeing now. The red and green seem to be coming in? If this is a typical development for cochins, then I'd change my guess and agree with the first poster (with the extensive credentials).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  8. jhauser

jhauser Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2013
    Hi I have the same question: are they hens or roos! These are my two cochin chicks...They were hatched 3 days apart July 5th and and July 9th so they are 8 weeks old now. Its just the two of them together, all my other chickens are older...These ones arn't in the big coop yet. They seem to be fighting a lot with each other. flying up in the air and bumping chests if you will... Can you help me sex them? the one with more of a comb is the one who is 3 days older & its quite a bit bigger then the other...Any help is much appreciated.

Both Chicks ..The one with the larger comb is 3 days older...
    [​IMG]

This chick is the one who is 3 days younger....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pic of the older chick again

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    At 8-9 weeks they both look like roos to me even if the one is a whole lot more developed. What are they mixed with to get those combs? That may explain the different looks.

10. jhauser

jhauser Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2013
    I was assured they were pure cochin, but I did see a silkie rooster in the pen & they had silkies and cochins only.... Do you think they could me a mix of the two?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by