2.5 week old chick, hurt foot??

sadie423

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 16, 2008
I just went in to check water and feed before I went to bed and I noticed on of the chicks was lifting its leg up a bunch and then gave up and laid down. I went to get her and she hopped off with the rest but obviously something was wrong. She doesn't seem to be in pain really when I did pick her up and look at her foot/leg. She is holding it out to the side a bit and very straight if she is attempting to put weight on it and when I was holding her. The toes aren't gripping at all either...they just kind of lay there. Comparing the 2 legs I didn't see any noticable differences as far as swelling or anything. Any ideas as to what this might be?? I thought our flock had stabalized....we lost one in transit, 1 the day after who had a rough trip, and one a few days later from who knows what. We still have one that is MUCH smaller than the rest that I posted about last week, who is still sleepy but seems to be holding her own just fine now. I guess I need to go get out the 2nd box to keep her in....If anyone knows anything else I can do.....
Sarah

Do you have anything on the bottom of the box to give them some grip? If they slide around too much they can get a slipped tendon. Will wait to hear.

There is at least 2 in of pine wood shavings in the box. When I cleaned it out a few days ago there was bare box in one side and they did slide on that a little when I was putting more shavings down, but that was on Monday night I think....and I didn't notice anything Tues or Wed day. She stretches it...like when she lays down under the light and stretches both legs out so I assume its not broken, but holds it at a very weird angle out to the side.

Back
Top Bottom