2.5 weeks old

Nic

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 21, 2007
UK
We let out chicks have their first taste of the outside world at the weekend with a run around on the front lawn and a while after we put them back in their brooder out in the garden and they loved it, catching ants, doing their cute little flappy flying and sunning themselves.

I sent DH off to get photos of the chickens on the farm where we got the eggs we hatched and here they are:
530525799_9836ecf39a.jpg

I know it's a fuzzy shot but anyone got any ideas what breed these are?

It's occured to me (only) tonight that our two black chicks also have black beaks and feet where our yellow chicks have pink beaks and feet - probably really silly question but will they stay this way and is this any indication of sex / breed?

Still playing constant guessing games about gender of the chicks - my current feeling is that (Freddie) this is a hen:
530526169_3a91bf4740.jpg

this (Wobble) is a cockerel:
530419048_89c96f6b42.jpg

and the other three could go either way! Here's Punzel:
530526455_04c0ef7d9c.jpg

Feathers:
530526737_238a515caf.jpg

and Rhonda:
530526581_2139a6cf77.jpg

They sure are cute babies!
I'm not gonna take a guess at the breeds you might have. Yes, the leg color can help to determine the breed, not so much the sex though.
I just noticed they have leg bands on. I think you should take those off before they get too tight. They are some kind of identification though.
smile.png

I'm not too sure on the all black ones, but I'd venture an educated guess that the brownish ones with the white fuzz are Rhode Island Reds. (I have several myself! And they looked JUST like them at 2.5 weeks old.)

As for sex....lets see...I'm pretty good at that with several clutches under my belt now! lol
tongue.png

#1 looks to be a pullet (girl)
#2 cant see the comb, but I do see some wattles. Could be a roo, but also depends on the breed.
#3 looks like a roo
#4 cant tell (dont know the breed, and cant see the other ones comb to compare them)
#5 looks like a pullet

Thanks for that guys. Could the black ones be RIRs too?

The bands should grow with them surely? They are very loose and have a lot of slack but if they could do harm then I'll take them off.

I'd also venture they they might be New Hampshire reds. Hard to tell, but depending on how red the fuzz is.. I have both RIRs and NHRs, and the NHRs started out much more yellow. The RIRs were definite RED HEADS from the get-go, and the NHRs were more strawberry blond.

As for the black ones.. I agree, maybe black stars? They would have a RIR or NHR parent, since they are crossbreeds.

My uneducated guess at sexes is:
Girl
Girl
Boy
Girl
BOY!

Meghan

Back
Top Bottom