2.5 year old chicken as rotisserie or soup only?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jamarti7, Jan 28, 2016.

1. jamarti7

jamarti7 New Egg

Jan 28, 2016
    I know chickens are supposedly better while they're younger. We've only ever eaten the younger ones; however, we have too many 2.5 year old chickens. They are Tetra Tints. (Tractor Supply mix-breed of Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds - or something like that). We've done rotisserie chicken with 5-6 month old Rhode Island Reds and tasted fine. I've heard people say the meat gets really tough as they get older. But is it really that significant? I mean, if my teeth can manage it, it's not a huge deal. But how big of a difference are we talking? Are 2.5 year old chickens basically only destined to be soup birds?
    Any advice/opinion/experience is appreciated!
    Thanks for your time.

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Use them for soup.

3. Paganrose

Paganrose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    soup/stew/slow cooker. They will have great flavor, but will have tough and stringy meat. Best to cook them long, low and slow, until the meat will fall apart in strings. I prefer the slow cooker on low for at least 8hours.Then the meat and liquid can be used in a soup or stew. Otherwise you can drain the broth and save for soup, and use the shredded meat for tacos/burrito etc... Also let them rest in the fridge for at least 48 hours after butchering before freezing or cooking. It will help soften the meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by