2.5 year old Peking lost quack

alfy04

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 28, 2014
Hi! I have 7 ducks - 4 Pekin, 2 Runner and 1 Cayuga. My daughter noticed a few days ago that one of our Pekin girls suddenly lost her quack. We brought her in and I noticed was wheezing a little and seemed a bit congested but no trouble breathing and otherwise acting totally normal. I put her in a bath and she dove for peas and ate mealworms like normal. I kept her in a small bathroom with a vaporizer and gavel her some Vet RX, but her quack did not improve. My daughter says she is the most vocal duck and quacks the most overall so wondering if she injured her voice. ... I completely lost my voice several times my first few years teaching because I had to talk so much. The other ducks so far seem fine. I've kept her separated from the flock And the end of 24 hours I decided to go ahead and give her an injection of Tylan (1cc). Today I gave her a second shot in a different location - no improvement in quacking but her wheezing and congestion seems to be improved. Is it possible for some ducks to lose their voice for good? Any advice from experienced duck keepers? Thanks much!

Attachments

• IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    361.4 KB · Views: 3
Carmella was checked at the vet, no clear indication of the cause, but I suspected she may ahve had her neck injured slightly in mating. In any case, I put several drops of colloidal silver in her drinking water overnight for two nights. I am not a vet, and silver must be used with great care and not for extended periods of time, from what I have been told.

But after the first night she was making sounds, after the second night her voice was back.

Einz seems to have damaged her voice screaming at the new drake. That was permanent, but not harmful.

Back
Top Bottom