2.5 year old Rhode Island Red has a blocked crop? Help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by freerangechicktoo, Sep 11, 2010.

1. freerangechicktoo

freerangechicktoo New Egg

Sep 11, 2010
    First timer here... I have 23 Rhode Island Reds and one, the girl who took over the "rooster" position (Big Red) must have eaten something that has gotten stuck in her crop. Started 3.5 days ago. Standing at my back door and not moving. Children and dogs ran past and she just stood. Crop full of food at this time. Left her in the coop first night. Never moved, still standing in the morning. Brought her in the house to live in a dog crate away from rest of flock. Gave 2 ml of olive oil (according to a web site). Crop was still full of undigested food after a day so I helped her vomit. The food and brownish liquid came out. She was able to sit down and rest. She closes her eyes often an I have to pet her to wake her enough to try to drink. I've been giving her active culture yogurt (to get the bacteria working again), water and tiny bits of super small mash (part of the same organic layer feed she's received her whole healthy life). It seems like she gets uncomfortable when the crop is so full... now only full of liquid mainly and I don't want it rot inside her, so I've ended up making her throw up again. I certainly don't want to do this too many times.

Something is digesting... she has yellow and dark green stool 2-3 times per day. The entire flock has never been wormed (never needed it), never beak clipped, their eyes are clear, their combs are red and "Big Red" (also healthy in appearance) has been the head of an extremely successful flock of large brown egg layers (one egg per day per chicken for over a year from 3/4 year old to 2 years old). I've been gently massaging her crop to help unstick whatever is stuck.

Is the next step surgery?? How long should I be trying what I've been doing?? Thanks for any help!

2. freerangechicktoo

Sep 11, 2010
  3. freerangechicktoo

Sep 11, 2010
    It is 4.5 days after my chicken was standing, not looking comfortable and not eating or drinking anything. After making her vomit multiple times on at least 3 days, and after a good teaspoon of olive oil, lots of TLC, organic plain yogurt, little drop of molasses, classic music (as she was confined to a dog crate near our kitchen that has a radio) and some homemade all wheat pancakes, the "Big Red" chicken is frolicking again in the grass and sun with her hens. She's no longer leaning over and having sour brown crop contents pour out of her mouth. She was able to bounce back so well from this 'sour crop' because I believe she was healthy to start off with. I have never wormed or given any medications to my birds. They have enough space, good feed, are free range within a fenced-in/protected by dogs 3/4 acre yard. I'm very lucky to have enough space and grass (no chemicals on the grass or in the yard since we moved in 3 years ago). Love my birds. So happy my Big Red is feeling better![​IMG]

4. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Glad to hear your hen is doing better. [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Melissa

5. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hoorah for a story that ended well! Glad to hear that Big Red is better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by