2.5 Years old Rooster ILL (purple comb, Lethargic, runny poop)

AdilLucky

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
48
0
24
Hi,

My 2.5 years old rooster is looking very lethargic sleepy his comb turned purple and runny poop from last 5 days. Its 10-15 degree temperature at night here. He is eating but not like he used to eat before but still eating not drinking much. I live in Karachi no proper vet is available here. I love my rooster and want to help him i am giving him roasted garlic, and some time raw garlic he is eating it. He eats millet. What can i do to help him. Kindly help. I dont want to lose him!!! DO REPLY PLEASE!!

Regards
Adil
 

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 20, 2015
38,410
54,520
1,332
Southern N.C. Mountains
Can you post pictures of the comb and poo?
A little more info would be helpful.
Any wheezing, runny nose, watery eyes, frostbite, has he lost weight, do you provide anything else besides millet and garlic for his diet?
 

AdilLucky

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
48
0
24


His watery yellow Poop



He seems Sleepy



Here is a picture of his comb!

Yes he seems to have lost much weight he used to be quiet healthy. I didn't notice any runny nose and eyes but he seems very lethargic. I give him raw potatoes, boiled rice aswell but he is not eating rice anymore, but he is eating millet potatoes garlic onion. Can you please suggest me any thing. How can I help him.

Thanks for your reply Do Reply soon!!
Regards!!
 

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
60,171
52,198
1,322
southern Ohio
He is a handsome rooster, but looks very ill. His comb looks very seriously frost bitten, and it will probably become quite small and rounded when it heals. His bright yellow droppings look as though he could possibly have an E.coli infection, which could be very serious or lethal. He needs some strong antibiotics and vet care if possible. His diet is not well balanced, and he is not getting enough protein in his diet. Do you have any egg, tuna,meat or liver that you can give him ground into small pieces? Human or poultry B complex vitamins and a small amount of cultured yogurt would be good for him as well.
 

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 20, 2015
38,410
54,520
1,332
Southern N.C. Mountains
He is a handsome rooster, but looks very ill. His comb looks very seriously frost bitten, and it will probably become quite small and rounded when it heals. His bright yellow droppings look as though he could possibly have an E.coli infection, which could be very serious or lethal. He needs some strong antibiotics and vet care if possible. His diet is not well balanced, and he is not getting enough protein in his diet. Do you have any egg, tuna,meat or liver that you can give him ground into small pieces? Human or poultry B complex vitamins and a small amount of cultured yogurt would be good for him as well.

Thank you @Eggcessive for bringing insight to his condition.
 

AdilLucky

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
48
0
24
Thanks for reply! Any home remedies for e coli? I will give him crushed boiled egg and yogurt.
 

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 20, 2015
38,410
54,520
1,332
Southern N.C. Mountains
Thanks for reply! Any home remedies for e coli? I will give him crushed boiled egg and yogurt.
Quote:
He is a handsome rooster, but looks very ill. His comb looks very seriously frost bitten, and it will probably become quite small and rounded when it heals. His bright yellow droppings look as though he could possibly have an E.coli infection, which could be very serious or lethal. He needs some strong antibiotics and vet care if possible. His diet is not well balanced, and he is not getting enough protein in his diet. Do you have any egg, tuna,meat or liver that you can give him ground into small pieces? Human or poultry B complex vitamins and a small amount of cultured yogurt would be good for him as well.
How is he doing?
If I understand what @Eggcessive is saying, he needs strong antibiotics to help him. A home remedy won't be effective.
 

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
60,171
52,198
1,322
southern Ohio
E.coli systemic infection can be very difficult to treat successfully. He should be separated from the other chickens. You may try the amoxicillin, but if there is a commercial balanced chicken feed available, I would be feeding it to the other chickens. I'm hopeful that he can live, but he may need a lot of care. If he is not eating or drinking well, he may benefit from tube or crop feeding. Here are some articles to read about E.coli infection in poultry:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/903/ie-coli-ian-opportunist-that-causes-enteritis/
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/colibacillosis-in-chickens.aspx
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/colibacillosis/overview_of_colibacillosis_in_poultry.html
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom