2.5 YO Rhodie Hen not eating/drinking much; been very cold in NC; she was just standing fluffed up;

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Four4me, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Four4me

Four4me New Egg

Jan 29, 2014
    My 2.5 YO Rhodie Hen Betsy has the following symptoms: [​IMG]

* As yet another cold spell hitin our area in NC, the last 3-4 days Betsy started standing fluffed up more often and not running and gobbling up scratch/oats/veg like the other 3 when I brought it.

* Yesterday it was worse, and when I noticed her comb was discolored (purplish) compared to the other 3 and she wasn't interested in moving much, we brought her inside and set her up.

* once she got warmed up, her tail perked up and her comb reddened.

* I have only been able to temp her to eat/drink by dropping some oats in water dish which she will pick up. After some of this, she gets up and goes back to corner and lays down.

* only when I "chicken whisper" to her while eating she will coo back to me, softly, a bit.

* otherwise, she is just laying in the back being silent until I pick her up to do oats in water every few hours.

*her feathers, feet and eyes look good. Comb is back to being red.

*NOTE: do NOT yet notice output of poop in the aspen shavings.

* In spite of the cold weather, other 3 hens look and are acting normal.

I would be grateful for suggestions!! Thanks for your help. [​IMG]

2. kubota girl

kubota girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    KENTUCKY
    try to give her some water with a dash of sugar in it... it should perk her up. Food wise: if she stops eating take some chicken feed and water and mix it up really good(you can also put some sugar in that too) take a toothpick and put it on her tongue.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi. My last ditch effort is usually Sulfadimethoxine, which is for cocci and is an antibiotic. She may be an internal layer .

4. Four4me

Four4me New Egg

Jan 29, 2014
    Thanks for the tip. Betsy molted last this summer before/after we moved, and she hasn't really laid eggs since. Before that, she's been a great layer except during molting. Can you tell me more about internal laying?

5. Four4me

Four4me New Egg

Jan 29, 2014
    I'm going to try. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by