1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2.5 yr old Brahma/Golden Comet hen molting- lethargic?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by freestargirl, Jan 6, 2015.

1. freestargirl

freestargirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    NC Foothills
    Hey all, I have a 2.5 yr old Brahma/Golden Comet hen who's not doing so good. She's molting right now and is the only one who hasn't feathered back out. Everyone else's feathers have come back completely or almost completely at this point.

She was moving kinda slow the other day, and inspection didn't turn up anything-she is not being bullied, she's in the top tier of pecking order. Her crop was fine, no impacted egg, no diarrhea, no outward injuries, no mites, no water belly (which is was the demise of the Golden Comet hens generation that she descended from). She perked up the other day. She's not favoring one side over the other. She just seems really tired and is moving really slow now. She ate just fine last night and this morning. When I was taking them some greens just a bit ago, the other chickens all ran for them and she slowly made her way halfway to me and stopped because there was a small tree in her way and she seemed to lack the energy to go around. She is alert and moving her head at a normal speed and manner, it's just her feet are moving so slow. She's not showing any signs of being off balance. Just really tired or really in pain. I don't want to seperate her from the rest of the flock b/c it's supposed to turn off really cold here tonight. Any thoughts? I don't want her to suffer ofcourse but don't have a problem putting her in a stew pot. She is one of my best layers though. If I'm gonna put her down, I need to do it today, otherwise it'll be too cold and I'm afraid she'll expire on her own if I wait. Any thoughts? I had another have all the same symptoms about 2 months ago and she just fell over dead 1 afternoon but she was a completely different breed but was the same age. 10 of the 13 hens that I have are all the same age, so I don't think it's an age issue.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would bring her inside for a day or two. Some chickens just have a really hard molt occasionally. I would give her vitamins and electrolytes in her water, or 1-1.5 ml a day of Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell vitamins directly by mouth. Feed some scrambled egg, ground meat or tuna for some extra protein along with adding some warm water to her regular feed. Higher protein gamebird feed would be good for extra protein while she is molting. When she goes back outside, pick her up and let her eat some scrambled egg out of your hand as a treat each day. A probiotic used once or twice a week in the water may increase her immunity to intestinal diseases. If your flock has not been wormed, I would recommend worming them with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days, to treat all types of chicken worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by