1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

??? 2 adult silkie hens stopped laying when I got them???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Missymac, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Missymac

Missymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    I got 2 adult silkie hens a couple of weeks ago. They have not layed an egg since they have been here. I am not missing finding them. When I picked them up, the man only had them in a pen and there was an egg there. Since I have had then, no eggs. They are starting to mingle with my large fowl more the last few days, before that they would just hang out in a corner most of the time with their silkie roo. Should I cut down a bit on large fowl and add more silkies? What is their problem? They are all healthy and happy. I was really hoping for a broody one as I heard that almost all silkies go broody, however, I can't even get them to lay an egg. My other 5 that are laying, are doing so just fine.

2. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    Maybe they're just taking a while to adjust to a new place.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Are you sure they are girls?? I know you saw an egg but could that egg have been another hens? When getting new hens-the stress of being moved and all new surroundings is very stressful-it can take weeks for them to adjust and start to lay again:( Expect your LF roos to be all over those silkie hens and will try to mate them all the time just like their LF girls so watch out because they can get hurt. Have you checked for lice and mites too?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  4. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I got a couple of BLRWs on May 1st (almost three months ago). They both laid the first day, and not an egg since. It's maddening. I think they have had PLENTY of time to adjust, it's time to start making some eggs, ladies!!!

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:welcome to the [​IMG] BLRW club mine go broody more than anything else!!! [​IMG]

6. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Alot of times chickens just dont like change it may take them a little time to adjust. I picked up 6 hens from a once and they where laying at the time and it took almost two weeks for them to start laying. Just give them time they will come around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by