2 African Greys need re-homing

sab

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Ripley, WV
Sadly, my life situation has changed and having 2 birds is having a serious effect on my husband's breathing. I have waited too long to look for new homes. Avery is fully feathered and always been with me. She's about 8 yrs old. Good temperament but doesn't care for men. Might be she can get over that with some work. Husband always ignored her so no man has ever worked with her. Alex is a rescue bird. Not a sweeter bird on this earth. Knows no strangers. I am guessing she is between 18 - 22 yrs old. She's been in the rescue system. She is a plucker. Nothing changes that except to keep her busy tearing something up. Right now, that's phone books. She actually prefers men but likes anyone who will give her love and attention. Avery is the big talker. Alex talks well too.

I am in WV and willing to drive 3 hours in any direction to meet someone. I will be very particular. I don't want these birds to end up in the rescue system. They are both good house pets and deserve wonderful lives. You can email me directly @ [email protected]

Hope the perfect home/s are out there. They are not a bonded pair - they don't need to be kept together.

I may be interested. I am actually on the market for a African Grey. I have been looking for a while, but they are very expensive and I haven't found one yet that I can afford. Are you giving them away, or selling them? I will have to speak with my husband first, but it is quite possible that I can drive and meet you to pick up one or possibly both birds. I am in Indiana, and I am not sure of the actual distance to WV, but I certainly would not mind taking a bit of a road trip to get these. I will talk to him when he gets home, and if he is ok with it, I will send you a email. Does anyone know anything about www.birdtricks.com? Thank you.

Last edited:
I am a former Parrot rehabber. I have rehabbed and adopted out Moluccan cockatoo's, african greys, and macaws. I am in NC how far are you from the border? I could give them a temporary or permanent home and I have some connections still with people who also rehab psittacines. I have 14 years of experience with psittacines, and would like to help if possible.

Quote:
I am not trying to be a pest, and I don't know you or your financial situation. I'm not judging or trying to call you out. However, I have found in past experience, when folks say that they cannot afford to buy the bird (a one time expense), they are often blind-sided by the actual costs of keeping a bird, even a free one. If you are having trouble paying for the cost of a bird, will you be able to save up enough for yearly vet exams? Emergency vet visits? A balanced diet? Toys, perches, etc (not as expensive if you make your own but not everyone makes their own), and so forth for the next 50+ years? Parrots live a long time and are intelligent animals. Just food for thought. Really, I am not trying to give you a hard time. It's just things that not everyone considers. Avian veterinarians in particular are very expensive! If you have an emergency it can easily run into thousands of dollars.

Edit: Also, I would personally recommend against birdtricks.com very heavily. Here is some reading.
http://parrot-lovers.livejournal.com/4429284.html
http://avianambassadors.com/BirdTraining/2008/12/12/bird-tricks-to-avoid/
http://bestinflock.wordpress.com/2008/12/08/guest-post-by-sid-price/
http://goodbirdinc.blogspot.com/2009/02/buyer-beware-parrot-training.html

Last edited:
Have you been on the forum Avian Avenue? www.avianavenue.com There are some great people on there and a thread specifically for rescues, one specifically for greys and so on. It has been a world of information and help to me. They take rehoming very seriously. My screen name on there is mjones. Feel free to contact me with other questions. I wish I could help more. I am adopting a blue crown rescue next weekend! Good luck to you.

chickenjones

Back
Top Bottom