2 and 6 week old duckling introducktion(not a typo)

Ducky-MOMO

In the Brooder
May 7, 2015
Northern NY
I have a gang of khaki Campbells that are about 6 weeks old ruling their pen, on the other hand I have 6 little Appleyards that are 2 weeks old. long story short I have my ducklings start getting used to the pool and grass right from week 1 or 2 weather permitting, last couple of days we have been blessed with nice weather, so I have been putting the baby appleyards in their pool right in front of the khaki's pen... while the appleyards are oblivious to the khakis my khakis got crazy !!! I have never seen them get so agitated or curious they start pecking on the chicken wire and are glued to the fence on the appleyard's side... this makes me very stressed about introducktion(not a typo) day with the weather being nice and all I guess the ducklings might go out of the brooder maybe week 4 or so... Any info on what to do to get them all used to each other?? I would like them to become the nice big duck family without any issues, I already lost one small appleyard and it was horrible ... Any advice would be appreciated I know most of the experienced breeders here had to do it at one time...

I have a gang of khaki Campbells that are about 6 weeks old ruling their pen, on the other hand I have 6 little Appleyards that are 2 weeks old. long story short I have my ducklings start getting used to the pool and grass right from week 1 or 2 weather permitting, last couple of days we have been blessed with nice weather, so I have been putting the baby appleyards in their pool right in front of the khaki's pen... while the appleyards are oblivious to the khakis my khakis got crazy !!! I have never seen them get so agitated or curious they start pecking on the chicken wire and are glued to the fence on the appleyard's side... this makes me very stressed about introducktion(not a typo) day with the weather being nice and all I guess the ducklings might go out of the brooder maybe week 4 or so... Any info on what to do to get them all used to each other?? I would like them to become the nice big duck family without any issues, I already lost one small appleyard and it was horrible ... Any advice would be appreciated I know most of the experienced breeders here had to do it at one time...
Best thing to do is let them live side by side for a while with temp fencing between the 2, that way they get use to each other with out the younger ones getting picked on. Time frame differs so it could be 1 week or 1 month but you want your 2 weeks olds to be same size as your KC before putting them together for good. It will all work out it just takes time and patience.

I love the pun haha I am currently slowly introducing a 1 week old runner to a 4 week old pekin, huge size difference! They seem to bond more at snack time. I fill a small tote with water and add smashes thawed frozen peas my older duck is more interested in snacking although she does try to peck at the little one sometimes when she gets close this is day 4 we're on now and my older duck is being more and more gentle as time goes by she even lets the little one walk by without trying to trip her I let them see each other through a mesh screen all day I keep the baby in an old pack n play for babies and my older duck in a pop up dog house with a zipable front door screen but I let my older duck come and go.out as she pleases and she will sit in front of the pack n play and sometimes try to peck and the baby through the screen but has been laying in front of it now hope this helps

I got a 4 and a 6 year old so i know what you are talking about, my son already named one of the khakis "jake" :)
Aweh that is so cute haha I have a 10, 7, and 1year old all girls . When we first got our pekin we weren't sure if it was male or female were hoping female and she honks sometimes starting at 2 to 3 weeks she did that but we always figured if she turned out to be a he we'd just call him marshal Lee instead of marceline haha.

I love the pun haha I am currently slowly introducing a 1 week old runner to a 4 week old pekin, huge size difference! They seem to bond more at snack time. I fill a small tote with water and add smashes thawed frozen peas my older duck is more interested in snacking although she does try to peck at the little one sometimes when she gets close this is day 4 we're on now and my older duck is being more and more gentle as time goes by she even lets the little one walk by without trying to trip her I let them see each other through a mesh screen all day I keep the baby in an old pack n play for babies and my older duck in a pop up dog house with a zipable front door screen but I let my older duck come and go.out as she pleases and she will sit in front of the pack n play and sometimes try to peck and the baby through the screen but has been laying in front of it now hope this helps

Love the "adventure time" names :) i read your thread and saw your picture the ducklings are cute... depending on the little ones growth i might be putting them inside the pen sooner but for now i will not risk it i hate to see anyone hurt... it is easier to monitor 2 but it will get out of hand if all 12 decide to go at it ...

Love the "adventure time" names :) i read your thread and saw your picture the ducklings are cute... depending on the little ones growth i might be putting them inside the pen sooner but for now i will not risk it i hate to see anyone hurt... it is easier to monitor 2 but it will get out of hand if all 12 decide to go at it ...
haha thank you so much I know I am a grown adult but my child side absolutely adores adventure time plus it's a nice cartoon my girls enjoy sharing with me yeah 2 is definitely easier to monitor I wish you the best of luck ducks are very intelligent though I think they'll pick up on the appropriate behavior soon

Back
Top Bottom