2 Australorp Pullets stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by makern12, Feb 19, 2009.

1. makern12

makern12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I don't understand we just purchased our first chickens last weekend. They are australorp hens and were in very small cages where we bougth them. They laid 1 egg on the car ride home in our small dog crate. Then the next day while adjusting to their new cooop they laid 2 more eggs. The following day nothing and the next 5 days no more eggs. Their new coop is about 5 times larger than where we bought them from. In addition they now have a run that is about 10 x 4 feet. They sleep in the hen house and is about 30 degrees at night I have feed in the hen house and in the run and water in the run. At night they return to the hen house and during the day they are in the run. I just don't know what I am doing wrong.

2. doubleostud

doubleostud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Nothing wrong, some hens just have an adjustment period. I have had hens that took a month to start laying again, then again I have some that it didnt bother.

3. makern12

Feb 19, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the quick response.. I was just stressing and my wife was not keen on me getting them in the first place I just want to make sure I am not screwing up. Thanks for the input.

4. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!! You came to the right place to learn about chickens!!! [​IMG]

Many hens stop laying for a short time when they have been stressed. Once they get comfortable with their new digs, they will start laying again!!!

Good Luck!!

5. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I recently moved and it took my chickens a couple weeks, some even 3 before they started laying again. Just give them time, lay pellets or crumble, some oyster shell and they should be laying soon.

My australorps are my best layers ... your's should be laying again soon!

Nancy [​IMG]

6. makern12

Feb 19, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Thanks Everyone... your input is much appreciated. I think I am going to be working on a new coop design too as I am not too pleased with my first coop design. Any ideas for a coop for about 3 chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by