2 babies. 6 eggs. Not due til the 8th. What about the 4 other eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Staceybullock, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Staceybullock

Staceybullock Out Of The Brooder

I am a first time hatcher with a first time brooder in central tx. I thought we were due to hatch on the 8th (this Friday) but two chicks hatched last Sunday! I had to leave them from Sunday morning until today (Tuesday)- when I got here I found mama had to move to the ground (near food and water) and I guess couldn't figure out the ramp...so 4 eggs sat in the Texas heat from whenever she left them (Sunday night? Monday morning?) until now. I candled the 4 eggs, and since it's my first time, know that something had been developing but can't tell if it still is or not. All I can see is about 85% dark! with an air pocket at the end. I put the eggs on the ground under broody, and she tucked them in, but I don't know what I should do...let her try until the 8th, or just be glad for the 2 that hatched?:barnie

2. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    If she's still sitting on them you can give it a try and hope for the best but if she hasn't been sitting on them for two days the chicks inside the egg could have died but you never know. It's definitely worth a shot!

3. Staceybullock

Ok. I saw a video on YouTube about candling with water - I did it and got wiggles out of all four! :celebrate

Momma moved though! She was trying to move eggs to other side of hen house for some reason - 1 made it, and three others were in line across the floor. I moved them all, water candled them all, then gave them back to her. I hope she settles on them again! It will kill me to know they made it this far! If I had a bator I'd scoop them up for these last few days....any ideas? Homemade bator? Or just leave them with her(my preference if I get a good outcome either way)???:/

4. Staceybullock

:celebrate
    Ok did water candling on four eggs and they all wiggled! That's the good news...

Momma was moving he eggs to the other side of the hen house - for whatever reason. She'd gotten 1 egg all the way to the new nest, the other three were in a line across the floor! Thank goodness for the hot Texas summer! So I picked them up water candled, then put in the nest for her to organize... If I had a bator I'd consider moving them but I don't. I will be sad if they made it this close (3days to go) and then don't hatch...

Any suggestions?:/

5. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    If they all still seem alive and developing in the egg that's really good and if she still wants to sit on them that's even better. It looks like you have a pretty good shot! I'd just let her continue to sit on them only two more days!

6. Staceybullock

She sits on them sort of. It's 97 in the shade, but she gets off and tends to her chicks. When I go in and check, she gets on the nest and the babies go with, but when I leave,she gets off (or at least she did just now).

7. Staceybullock

She's definitely done sitting on them. Talked to someone at the hardware store who said as hot and humid as it is I should be fine leaving the eggs in my tack room in a bucket with some hay over them - she's even hatched in a sunny window before

8. Staceybullock

[​IMG]

9. Streetview

Streetview Chillin' With My Peeps

Good luck! Can't wait to hear updates!

10. Staceybullock

Breaking down and buying incubator at tractor supply. Just don't have the humidity and too much temp variation. Hope it's not too late!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by