2 babies died. :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fluffy-Butt-Farms, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    i've just had my first 2 chicks die...one at 2 weeks old, and one at one week old. both from different brooders.

they are in a walk in closet that is about 85-90 degrees depending on the weather.

the bedding is all pine, and changed every 2 days.

the temp is regulated thru out the day, but never higher then 90. if i see they are all moving away from the light, i turn it down (dimmer switch).

only one had pasty butt, but i cleaned that up.

they are in a brooder that is 4 feet wide and 1 1/2 feet deep, and there is 15 in each brooder.

they get medicated food and i'm always changing out their water.

I asked a friend of ours who showed chickens for 30 years. they said that the weaker ones will always die off, and said its better if they die themselves then you having to do it), that it's nothing that i did (always worried about that). He said i'll have a higher mortality rate if the parents of these birds were brother/sister (of course, i really have no way of knowing if they were or not)

I'm just hoping more dont die. it's so heartbreaking. even if it is natural selection and totally out of my control.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. team guava pastry

team guava pastry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    usually those that will die, will die within the first 2 weeks but that's just from the little experience we've had. good luck! [​IMG]

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    I always use paper towels for 3 weeks. maybe they ate some shavings by accident??? [​IMG]
    Which ones were they?

5. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    the 2 week old one was an ee, and the 1 week old one was a silkie that i got from 3chickens.

i'm so sad about it, and just want to make sure i'm not doing anything to hurt them unintentionally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by