2 baby chicks dead-what to do with last one?

messianicmom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 21, 2009
HOpefully someone can give me some guidance. Three chicks hatched between Sun. morn and Mon. morn. Since we wanted more than what hatched, Monday afternoon, we went and bought some more little ones (5 days-1 week olds) locally. By late that evening, our youngest hatched had begun to be lethargic, keeping it's eyes closed and labored breathing, with some gulping at times. Very soon, it went into spasms and died.

We separated our remaining two from the small flock, but come this morning, it was too late for the next youngest-who was dead when we awoke. I treated the last one in several ways and she is going strong, eating, drinking, acting normally; albeit lonely.

Our theories are:
1) they were born with something. We've had three of our hens die recently, 2 of them exhibiting sudden fatigue and trouble walking and finally dying. Though none of these eggs came from these hens.
2) they got something from the older chicks that we brought from the store adn the two littlest ones had not the immunity to withstand it.
3) incubator disease. We've had three chicks die in their eggs this go round-more than ever before. Two fully formed.

So my question is thus: should we put the last survivor back with the other chicks? She's behaving fine; however, still only 3 days old. None of the new store-bought ones show any symptoms.

Any other opinions?
We don't want this last one to suffer the same fate, but we just don't know what happened.

Thank you,
Rachel

did the others have coccidosis? if symptoms happen again treat with corid.it kills all forms of cocci. other meds only kill certain strains. your last chick should be OK.keep an eye out for any symptoms. ultimately its your choice to put her with others. be careful if you don't know what the others had. good luck and best wishes.

I don't know if the others had coccidosis or not; they haven't shown any of the symptoms of what my two little ones did.
That's the problem - I just don't know. I'm going to be calling the store to ask them if they've had any issues with their batch.

I'll see if I can get some corid just to have on hand.

We're concerned about the incubator being a carrier of something. It's styrofoam, with a plastic tray.

Thanks,
Rachel

I'd isolate her with a heat lamp and brooder box, give her a stuffed toy and a mirror and she will think she isn't alone. She may very well be fine - so let's not plan her funeral

Back
Top Bottom