2 bantam cochin chicks 1 female 1male? help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crysmom, Nov 25, 2007.

1. crysmom

crysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    If you could give me your opinion? I think one is a hen and one a cockeral they are about 4 or 5 weeks old buff bantam cochins
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  2. crysmom

Sep 24, 2007
    oh and the other thing do you think they are frizzles or regular ?

3. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I would say pullets for sure. Regular feathers to. These are two white bantam cochins about three weeks old my rooster is on the right. Can you tell the difference in the combs?

[​IMG]

Edited to add picture oops! One other thing is my pullets have always feathered out faster in my cochins, but this could vary with every line.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2007
  4. crysmom

Sep 24, 2007
    Yes I can see the difference in the comb.
    out of our two birds one has a slightly bigger comb, whereas the other has a poofier tail but neither of their combs are red or even pink they are both quite yellow

oooh I'd feel super lucky if they were both hens [​IMG]

5. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    That is lucky. I have 8 white cochin chicks and 6 of them are roos. [​IMG] I also have 5 silver laced cochins and 4 are roos. I didnt get lucky this time lol.

6. crysmom

Sep 24, 2007
    Quote:well I guess i just got lucky with the cochins, because I hatched 12 chantecler chickens and only 3 are hens [​IMG]

but the funny thing is the woman I bought the cochins from told me she hadn't had any pullets hatch this year [​IMG] These were an oopsie hatch with a hen who had gone broody with no one noticing they hatched outside under a bush [​IMG]

7. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    2 pullets if they are 4-5 weeks old. If they are younger, it may be too soon to tell. Congrats!!

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks like two regular feathered girls to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by