2 Barnevelders. Genders???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by deekay04, Aug 3, 2011.

1. deekay04

deekay04 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Ann Arbor
    I got these chicks from a breeder when they were about a week old. Now they're 7-8 weeks old. I talked to the breeder 2 weeks ago about the genders and we were both confused. These are pictures from today. Chick 1 has the feathering, comb, and wattles of a cockerel. However, chick 2 also has a comb and wattles as a cockerel, but the feathering colors are quite different. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

How do they stand? A pullet's posture will be more even...like a boat on the water. A roo's posture will be more upright, uphill and his back will be shorter. They both have good size legs on them, so that's why I'm curious about their postures. We raised BarnieXBCM and ended up with one of each. By 6 weeks, we noticed the roo because of his short back and upright posture.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  3. deekay04

Aug 3, 2011
    Ann Arbor
    I'll have to watch they way they stand. For a while there chick 1 was walking around with his wings further from the body like my other known cockerels did. But, these two barnies did get into a scuffle the other day. They poofed out the feathers around their necks, stood upright and were kicking at each other. It went on for longer than I've seen the other chickens do so. Ugh, I'm just so confused. The breeder did say if both were cockerels, I could switch one out. But then I can't decide if I'd switch out the one with more black, or the one with more brown coloring. [​IMG]

4. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

If I go by the legs and the comb/wattles I would say they are both roos. But pullets will fight back too. Nice that the breeder would take one back. Since the Barnevelder coloring is very succinct, shouldn't they look the same? Right now they have pre-teen feathers...certainly not how they will end up looking when they are adults. So if you're worried about color...don't be. They should end up looking identical. I would go with whichever one I liked better or had a personality I liked. OR if you're going to breed, whichever one has a better temperament and conformation/traits you're looking for.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At 7-8 weeks, those are both roos.

6. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I think they're both boys by their color and by their combs and wattles. How long has the breeder you got them from had them? I'm asking b/c I have a local friend who has show quality Barnevelders and she pointed out to me that the 2 that her hen hatched out a few weeks ago were both boys and that she could tell b/c they had so much black on them. She said the pullets will have a lot more red lacing right away, while the boys are very black. I would see if there's a Barnevelder thread in the breeds and showing section. THey could tell you for sure, but I am thinking that the one with the gold coming in is a less desirable one. All of her Barnies have a nice mahogany color, the roo has some brighter orangish red, but none have gold.

7. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    i only see roosters....

8. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Im guessing roos

9. deekay04

Aug 3, 2011
    Ann Arbor
    Quote:I've been thinking for a while that they are both roos. I ran across a 14wk old Barnie photo, and it still did not have red comb formation. The breeder also can tell her chicks apart by coloring once they have feathers, just this one threw her off a little. Plus the pictures I sent her were from 2 weeks ago when they were around 5 weeks old.

I'm not too worried about show quality, but I would like one of each. I have a nice array of breeds and this breed is gorgeous [​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Both are cockerels.

This is a pullet at 10 wks:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by