2 big male racoons in 24 hours

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tracyfeltsmills, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Tracyfeltsmills

Tracyfeltsmills In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Any guesses how many more i can expect for dinner in the coming weeks,
    Not that i'm thrilled but getting to be alot of work lol. Is a female destin to show up? Figured what we had this am but no was a big fat male missing a tail competely gone.

2. patman75

patman75 Songster 9 Years

I put raccoon trapping as a normal part of owning chickens. It is a all year long chore.

3. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Songster

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    For the first two years we'd catch an average of 3 raccoons/possums each week. Now~~barely one each month.

4. If you are having a coon problem, get some CHEAP cat food and place it as far from the chickens as you can. the coons will start dinning there. Once you have established this, you can start to trap them. Coons are smart little turds, so do not place a trap every night or right after you catch one.

Keep them guessing, you will get your quota, i am sure and your chickies will be much safer with them being "alternatively fed".

I put my cat food up on an old wooden, hard to climb table out in the horse barn. So far, all that seems to be eating there are the dumb barn cats.

i do not leave any water out at night any where NEAR the chicken barn. It is replaced and then thrown out at night these days.
    I have a skunk under the barn. i have dispatch a few of his/her buds, but this one remains.

5. Tracyfeltsmills

Tracyfeltsmills In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    ya, Full time job not suprised to here , They seem to enjoy honey alot, thanks 4 advice. took me 2 months to get them coming , gonna keep it going. Really are beastly looking things and big altho come bigger i heard. Well have to get bigger quarters for that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: