2 birds and no eggs since they molted in September?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roxycricket, Jan 2, 2014.

1. roxycricket

roxycricket Just Hatched

Jan 2, 2014
    Hi all,

New to the forum. Just searched and found this site/info.

My neighbors moved and gave me their two chickens. One Autralorpe and one RR.

They layed consistently after the initial move. Average about 10-11 eggs a week. Then in September they molted and haven't layed an egg since.

Everything is normal, Food, housing, water, weather (SoCal), etc. Big yard, just no eggs....

I believe the birds are 3 years old. Are they past their prime? I can't believe that considering their laying before molt, then 0.

Short days maybe?

Any help would be great, otherwise its fried chicken and some new chicks, hehe.

Thanks is advance.

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Chickens need 12-14 hours of daylight to lay an egg. So, yes the shorter days.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X2 on the shorter days, and the molt. Chickens need 14 hours or so of daylight to lay, so they probably won't start up again until spring if you don't add light, and a full molt can take a good three months to get through. At three years they will be past their prime, but should still be laying some eggs, rule of thumb seems to be about 70-80% # wise what they laid in their prime, but eggs should be nice and large. Good article on molting. http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/217/moulting-a-natural-process

4. roxycricket

roxycricket Just Hatched

Jan 2, 2014
    Thanks for the relies folks.

I guess I'll be patient and wait for the longer days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by