2 birds in my flock are now broody!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenwoods, May 16, 2008.

1. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Well now i got 2 of em!!, One is raising chicks now,the chicks are almost a week old.and when i came back from work today i saw a hen in the nest box,and then still in it 3 hrs later..and now roost time still on the nest... reminds me of my first broody.....

but i do not want another broody,i took all the eggs from her,and pick her up and put her on the roost board!, i felt sorry for her cause she was sqeeling and hollering...but she was too young to be a mom anyway! LOL she wasnt even a year old!! how young..[​IMG]

Well she calmed down and didnt try to get back to the nest,i dont know if its better to catch em on theyre first day.or what.

I hope she doesnt get back to nest tommar:hmmne broody is enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    I am no expert because I've only had chickens since the middle of March, however, one of my hens started laying in the nesting box all the time...for three weeks, I tried kicking her out everytime I was out there and took all the eggs away promptly and she would just lay on the empty nest.

Last week I received some fertilized eggs in the mail and decided to place a few eggs under her and she is still sitting on them. I think she is a young bird also, but I have no way of knowing.

So I do not think that taking the eggs will stop her, but I read on here somewhere that you need to put her someplace else by herself to break her, sort of isolate her in a different location. Sorry I could not be any more help. Keep us posted.

3. HillCountryMomma

HillCountryMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    My experience is that taking the eggs away won't always snap a hen out of being broody. Kinda depends on just how broody she is, which sounds kinda silly, but I swear some are more dedicated to the task than others! Some you pester, they give up and go on their way. Others... well... I have a Jersey Black Giant that went broody a couple weeks ago. Kept kicking her off the nest and taking the eggs (already had a Barred Rock that was broody and sitting on a big clutch). Then she'd sit on nothing!

I finally gave up... a neighbor brought me some fertile turkey eggs so now the JBG is a surogate mother to be of a bunch of turkeys! Just to confuse her further, I waited and slipped some fertile Americauna eggs under her as well. That'll teach her to go broody on me! Just wait till that bunch of mutts hatches out. [​IMG]

My Barred hens babies should hatch in 4 days, I'm excited! I candled several eggs last night and they look gorgeous.

Liz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by