2 birds in quarantine - not eating or drinking - really freaked out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gotthefever, Jan 11, 2015.

1. gotthefever

gotthefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2014
    2 new EE's 1-2 years old. Came from a "farm" type environment.

They are in quarantine in the garage since yesterday 3:30 pm (approx 26 hours) and I do not see that they have eaten or had a drink. A round pen, with tarp shavings, nice chunky roost, top is covered. When I open the cage door they flip out. So they still have plenty of spunk.

They are sleeping now, should I be a bug and stress them further and force electrolytes? I think not....would it be a further wrestling match at this point? They might injure themselves or would it work because they are sleep dopey?

I assume it is because they are not used to confinement. I know it is stressful to be of that age and have your whole world turned upside down.

Tomorrow, I could try moving the whole kit and caboodle outside???

I put scratch down, I put water in a different bowl, I hung cups of food (and water with electrolytes) next to the roost they wont move from. All untouched.

Will a healthy hen actually commit suicide this way? Or should I just let them come around?

Thoughts, ideas?

Thank you for your time.
    -A

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Are you sure they are not drinking? They may not be eating because that is not the feed they are used to. Can you call the farmer you got them from and see what they were fed there? I have switched brands of layer pellets on my hens before and they are picky and will not eat certain brands.

Also watch carefully for signs of illness. Any coughing, wheezing, watery eyes, lethargy? How does their poo look? You can tell a lot about a chicken by checking on their poo. Hope this helps you. Hope they turn around and start thriving[​IMG] Please keep me posted.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Give them time to get used to their new environment. They'll eat and drink eventually.

4. gotthefever

Oct 6, 2014
    Thanks much!
    They ate same stuff, but environment is so diff. Confined, no 40 other hens, llamas, emus, roosters, sheep etc. They probably assume everyone elsd is caput, and they ard next!!!

The calmer of the 2 hopped down this morning after a 5 second freak...took some water. The most upset girl pecked some scratch from the hanging cup.

So i think they will not die, but are sure that, "I am the devil, and they have decended to the 7th level of Hell".

They will be so happy to get to the good stuff i have for them!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  5. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Glad to hear[​IMG]. Sometimes the move freaks them out for a few days. Take care and thanks for the update.

6. gotthefever

Oct 6, 2014
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by