1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 Birds, please help with breed and gender.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Browner71, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Browner71

Browner71 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Sonoma, CA
    Seems I finally figured out how to post decent size pics! Now for the problem.... I have 2 chickens, about 9 weeks old, hatched the same day. One is considerably bigger than the other. We were told they could be Black Japanese, but they clearly do not look the same. I'm thinking the big one (crested) could be a Polish, and maybe the small one is a Japanese. I'm too new to have any idea what they are. Additionally, I'm trying to find out the gender of each. I was thinking hens (and hoping), but I don't know. The big one has begun to make an occasional noise like it's trying to crow, but I have read that dominant hens will try to crow as well. Hopefully the pics will allow someone to confirm breed and gender. Thanks for helping. By the way, I'm loving this site!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I do not know anything about those two types of birds, but wanted to tell you [​IMG].

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Looks like a cute little Japanese pullet and a Crevecoeur. Not sure on the sex of the Crev but leaning toward pullet right now. The Japanese is a bantam (one of the few truly bantam breeds that does not have a large fowl counterpart) and the Crev is a large/standard fowl.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    The crevecoeur looks like a roo maybe

5. Browner71

Browner71 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Sonoma, CA
    i updated the pics, hope this helps.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by