2 black bantam cochin roos (3 wks old)...decided to keep them.

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by shelleyb1969, Sep 1, 2008.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I have 2 bbc roos that I would like to sell, pickup in Michigan preferred. However, if someone wants both and is willing to pay for a shipping box, the chicks, and the shipping cost...then I will ship. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    How do you know they are roos already? (Just curious) I have some that hatched August 16th and can't tell yet.

3. shelleyb1969

In comparison with the other chicks: [​IMG]
    1) These chicks have very visible combs, whereas the "girls" do not have combs at all yet
    2) These chicks have no signs of tailfeathers, whereas the "girls" have very prominent tailfeathers already
    3) Feather sexing confirms that these chicks are boys. http://animalsciences.missouri.edu/reprod/ReproTech/Feathersex/sld003.htm

And
    really, it's just nothing more than "knowing" my chicks. It's pretty obvious from my standpoint because I see them everyday, and have same age chicks to compare them to. But for someone else, I know it must be more difficult to "see" what I see.[​IMG] All of my chicks were hatched August 13th...just 3 days before yours. If your chicks are both hens and roos, then you should be able to tell the difference by now also. [​IMG] I am going to take some pics tomorrow and post them...maybe that will help. IMO, bantam cochins are one of the easier breeds to sex.

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    very interesting link - I suppose it is to late to do the feather sexing thing now. It says to use it on 1-3 day old chicks. Mine strongly cary the frizzle gene - wonder how that affects it? (7 out of 8 frizzled). All 8 of mine have combs, but 1 of the 8 feathered out waaayyy faster than the others. I sure hope I don't have 7 roos...

Thanks for your insight and information!

5. shelleyb1969

I'm by no means a chicken-sexing expert, but these methods work for me, especially if all 3 are present. Do your 7 "iffies" have tailfeathers yet? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...7 roos is a little much, even though they're so cute![​IMG]
    Michelle

6. shelleyb1969

I updated the post to include pics. Also, I've decided to keep one of the original 3, so now I'm only selling 2 of them. [​IMG]

7. shelleyb1969

I've decided to keep them...at least for now.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by