2 Black East Indies Ducklings and me....HELP !!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sunflowersmiles, Jun 29, 2016.

1. sunflowersmiles

sunflowersmiles New Egg

Jun 29, 2016
    Hello everyone,
    I guess after 14 years I'm finally succumbing to country living...a preschool class hatched two of the little darlings and I volunteered to adopt them after they hatched. I have the room, enough space and a neighbors pond close by aside the brook next to me.
    They are 1 Week old today, I have been feeding with waterfowl food from our local feed supply store, also treats of chopped lettuce, apricot, cucumber and carrot. They gobble it all up and make a wonderful little mess in the inside rabbit hutch I have them in for now.
    Looking for a sensible idea to build myself a duck coop that is predator safe, somewhat winterized and next to the house for easy access.
    I am aware ducks are messy...so looking to clean it out every couple of days..depending the situation. I'd like for both of them to have happy healthy duck lives as you can tell. Been handling them every day a few minutes and letting them swim supervised in a movable tub to get them used to waterplay and grooming.

Do you have any good links that lead me to good ideas for duck coops?
    THere is a ton for chickens and rabbits....not so much for ducks. Unless I am looking in the wrong places.
    Thank you very much...exciting adventures await Click and Clack...with Cat/Dog/Fish and Ms. Snowball the hare..........

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I think you can find more duck specific information on the "Duck thread." Put that in the search box and it will come up. I don't think ducks are put in a coop but, more like a shed to protect from predators, over night. They don't roost, but I imagine they would have pine shavings or stray on the flooring to keep cleaner etc.

3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG]! That is so fun! I have no experience with ducks, but as drumstick diva said, there are so many knowledgeable people over on the duck section that I'm sure will be happy to help! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I agree that the duck experts are the best peeps to help you out.

Good luck

Ct

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by