2 Bobwhite hens flew the coop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dogginfox, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Dogginfox

Dogginfox Chillin' With My Peeps

I was cleaning out the bobwhite run earlier today and managed to startle 2 birds enough that they squeezed through a tiny crack and escaped, they didnt fly anymore than 20 yards in either direction, will they come back? im now down to 1 hen and 3 cocks! please tell me they will come back

2. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    I doubt they will come back on their own but you can try to catch them tonight. Try to see where they lay and throw something over them, a big net, cloth, sheet, anything. They do not really have homing instincts to return to the coop but might stay close.

3. Dogginfox

Great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They came back !!!!!!!!!! a few of the remaining birds started calling just after the 2 got out a little while later i went back out to check on everyone and the 2 hens were trying to squeeze back in through the fencing. I took a small live trap and set it up next to the run and put some scratch grain in within 15 min i had one back and less than 5 min later i had the other!!!

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:You may want to fix their escape crack...if they can get out through it, unfortunately, something can probably get in through it.

Dawn

5. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Yeah!!!!!! I am happy for you. My game birds were much too wild to ever come back so I am glad you had a happy ending.
    Time to fix the crack!!!!

6. Dogginfox

Problem fixed!

7. Wow! Great that they came back!
    I just lost 40-something Button Quail when stray dogs turned the Quail pens over in the night.
    Only 2 from the whole bunch managed to find their way back. I can hear more 'calling' in the woods, but haven't been able to get close to them.

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by