2 boys keep fighting, rooster and cockerel, no blood so ok?

ForTheLoveOfSilkies

Free Ranging
Aug 18, 2019
Australia
I changed out my infertile rooster for another rooster (his son) I had them separated between a fence so they could see each other still hopefully making integration easier for this reason.
My main coop has 6 hens and a 10 month old cockerel and did have my old rooster but now new rooster.o
So now this rooster and cockerel keep fighting very often like every 10 min they have a fight but never any blood or injuries so far. Is this ok to keep them together like this? Unless it becomes more serious like there's blood? It's been over a week now.

IMG_20210921_110109.jpg
IMG_20210921_110107.jpg

Well this morning I see blood on Biscuits (cockerel) comb, I stopped the fight and will have to arrange an alternative solution I think.
Cookie (rooster) I think instigates all the fights, Biscuit is more docile.

I would rather have just one flock @Folly's place - my infertile rooster and cockerel got along fine but rooster was head of the flock and wouldn't allow cockerel to mate. So now the change, but the other 2 boys won't get along 😩

I don't have a spare coop, only another coop with my infertile rooster and a hen for company.. I probably should cull infertile rooster and put Cookie back in that coop.
I only cull when a chicken is sick so I don't know if I can bring myself to cull Rooster for just being a rooster, although an infertile one for some reason. This will be difficult, and I haven't culled one that big either so I hope the broomstick method works ok, if I can bring myself to do it.

So sorry, it's miserable at times, especially when it's about nice birds that just don't fit with your goals, and can't get along together.
Is your cockerel too closely related to your hens, or why get another outside bird? Can he go back? Pick the best one for your hens.
Mary

So sorry, it's miserable at times, especially when it's about nice birds that just don't fit with your goals, and can't get along together.
Is your cockerel too closely related to your hens, or why get another outside bird? Can he go back? Pick the best one for your hens.
Mary
Rooster was from someone else I got him at 5 months old, he is now over 3 yrs old and did produce many offspring but last year only 1 hatch fertile and none since. He can't go back, he was freebe.
Rooster Cookie is his son, as is Biscuit cockerel. I can't decide which one I like the best for looks and personality. I can't tell which the hens like better either - Cookie usually roosts on his own, so does this indicate the hens like Biscuit more?

Biscuit IMG_20210915_110751.jpg

Cookie IMG_20210914_111306.jpg

Here we raise cockerels, either our own, or chicks from hatcheries, so we don't try to introduce older cockerels or roosters, ever. Right now we have two mature roosters, and three cockerels one of whom need to move on elsewhere. A nice white Chantecler, but extra. Hate it!
Mary

Here we raise cockerels, either our own, or chicks from hatcheries, so we don't try to introduce older cockerels or roosters, ever. Right now we have two mature roosters, and three cockerels one of whom need to move on elsewhere. A nice white Chantecler, but extra. Hate it!
Mary
I culled the 2 roosters last night 😩😢 after rooster went for me when I was just holding a shovel! He had to go!
So now 10.5 month old cockerel is left with 7 hens all in 1 flock... But he didn't crow last night, morning or any crowing since I culled the roosters!! Hopefully they can adjust and hens will all accept Biscuit as the man of the flock! (And Biscuit accepts he is the main man now and crows!) 😩😬

I culled the 2 roosters last night 😩😢 after rooster went for me when I was just holding a shovel! He had to go!
So now 10.5 month old cockerel is left with 7 hens all in 1 flock... But he didn't crow last night, morning or any crowing since I culled the roosters!! Hopefully they can adjust and hens will all accept Biscuit as the man of the flock! (And Biscuit accepts he is the main man now and crows!) 😩😬

It can take time, especially with a cockerel, but things should work out in time. The hens may not accept him yet, or maybe he just hasn't realized his change in status yet.

Back
Top Bottom