2 breeds & no idea

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tyaloria, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Tyaloria

Tyaloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    Worcester UK
    Hi [​IMG]

I have 2 girls and am not sure of their breed.
    can you help me?

[​IMG]
    the ones that I am unsure about is the grey penciled one with the fluffy legs whom we call 'big boots'.
    male or female this bird is the sweetest babe we have.
    She came out of a batch of Wyandottes, so im assuming she is a Wyandotte. but I've never seen one with legs like this: tall and fluffy like a silkie I guess.

The second girl is also in that picture, she is the black and white speckle. We have 3 of them!. They seem to appear randomly in batches of eggs.
    Heres a better look:

[​IMG]

Thanks for having a look! [​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Big Boots is a Dark Brahma hen, and the black and white bird in the bottom picture is a Barred Cochin hen.

3. Tyaloria

Tyaloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    Worcester UK
    Lol I have never experienced such a mix of birds that I never ordered eggs for! I suppose it's quite exciting!!!! Thanks for your help (big boots says hi!)

4. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Agree with Michael, the bigger one is a classic dark brahma pullet, and the bottom is a pullet too! Beautiful chicks! The other red is a male!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree your fluffy grey bird is a Dark Brahma. They're lovely with that color!

The barred bird is not the same in each pic? The top pic the bird has a crest, the bottom does not. The bottom bird looks like a barred Cochin, but the top bird would be a mixed breed. A better pic would help determine mixed with what [​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. I never personally had the Dark Brahmas (although a close friend and neighbor of mine did), but the Light Brahmas were the first breed I ever got (around 50 years ago), and they were gentle giants. So were my Buff Cochins. Good look with your lovely flock.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

9. commanderforts

commanderforts Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by