2 broodies sharing 3 eggs on 1 nest, day 16, should I remove the extra broody?

jenesis536

Songster
9 Years
Oct 3, 2010
CA
I have 3 silkies and 2 went broody next to each other. I put 9 shipped silkie eggs under them, (4 under 1, 5 under the other), and there are only 3 left (removed 6 previously that had nothing happening). It is day 16.

The 3rd hen sleeps with the 2 broodies at night for warmth (37 deg last night) and everyone is happy so far.

With only 3 eggs left, the 2 broodies are now facing each other caddy-corner with their breasts on the eggs together. They are sharing nicely, but at this point do you think I should give all 3 to one of the girls and block the other 2 off from her (would have to put a divider in the same coop). How would you pick which broody to break, or should I leave them together and risk them killing the chicks (and then what do I do with the 3rd hen)? If I do separate them, will mama hen be warm enough without her sisters to cuddle with? If and when the chicks hatch, should I move mom and babies to a brooder or leave them in the coop (I don't think there is enough room for a heat lamp).

I don't have an incubator, but I do have a brooder set up and ready.

Please help!! Thank you!

I would have to order them and probably wouldn't get them in time, plus, the girls were broody for at least a week already before I put the eggs under them, so I don't want to start her all over again and have her lose too much weight, especially given the temps are low right now.

I would have to order them and probably wouldn't get them in time, plus, the girls were broody for at least a week already before I put the eggs under them, so I don't want to start her all over again and have her lose too much weight, especially given the temps are low right now.
maybe he some eggs off Craigslist. .just ask if there fertile. .

At this point in the game, I'd not mess with it. Silkies have a reputation of being good broodies, and excellent Mamas. So, I'd be sure your coop is safe for chicks: no open water sources, no place where a chick could get stuck and crushed, or get out or separated from Mama(s). I had 2 ducks that shared a common nest, hatching 24 ducklings together. They did very well. When hatch day came, one Mama took off for the hills and never looked back, leaving the other one to care for all 24 babies. Not saying that's what will happen with your Silkies, but if you mess with them at this late stage it could do more harm than good.

Back
Top Bottom