2 Broody Hens and 26 eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Grumpy1, May 30, 2008.

1. Grumpy1

Grumpy1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2008
    North Georgia
    I have 8 Ameraucauna Hens and 1 rooster, and I have 2 hens that went broody at the same time. They are in nest boxes that are about 42" off the ground. I have been putting the other hens' eggs in front of them and they have been tucking them into their own. I did not realize how many, but it turns out there are 13 eggs under each hen! I found out when they both got up to eat, drink and stretch out. I have a few questions:
    1. How many eggs can they sit on?
    2. They are spaced out a few days, will the hens hatch them all out?
    3. What do I need to do? Will nature take care of them?
    4. How and when will the chicks that hatch get down from the nest boxes?
    5. Will the Hen protect her chicks from the other hens and rooster, or should I separate them?

Sorry for all the questions, I am new at this.

2. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    1.I think they can sit on as many eggs that fit under them.
    2.I'm not sure.
    3.Yes all you need is chick starter.
    4.They would probibly jump out when there dry and stronger.
    5.I would seperate them to take extra percautions.

You shouldn't be sorry about questions cause there are still a lot I need to ask too. [​IMG]

3. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

When you are sure they are actually broody I would separate them from the rest of the flock and get the nest down to ground level. 42" is a long drop for the chicks and they won't be able to get back in the nest. When/if you do move the hens and eggs I would do it at night when they are calmer.

The eggs will probably hatch at or about the same time but be patient, there may be some late hatchers.

I would think 13 eggs is enough.

After the hatch. Chick starter would be good to have but remember the hen will eat it also. Extra protein shouldn't hurt since she hasn't been eating much the last 3 weeks.

If you can keep them separated from the rest of the flock but so they can hear and see each other for a few days. Mine free range during the day and momma hens gradually expanded their territory and mixed with the other birds. Momma hens should take care of the chicks teaching them how to eat and drink and protecting them. They are alot of fun to watch.

4. Grumpy1

Feb 12, 2008
    North Georgia
    Thanks for the replies, I think I will move the nests to the ground tonight in a separate cage. I expect them to hatch in a week or so.

5. Grumpy1

Feb 12, 2008
    North Georgia
    Update: 8 out of the 26 eggs hatched a few days ago, then the broodys gave up on the rest. Each mama has 4 cute babies, and they are all doing fine. I never did move them, and the hens move the chicks up and down into the nest boxes. I will try to get some pictures.

6. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I would like to see the hens getting those chicks up into the nest boxes. It might change my way of thinking about chickens.

7. Grumpy1

Feb 12, 2008
    North Georgia
    I haven't seen them do it, but I will try to catch them in the act tonight...

8. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Well, I guess it's to late for this suggesation, but I would have given all the chicks to one hen and move the unhatched eggs under the other. I guess if you have a bater,you could put the unhatched eggs in it.

9. Grumpy1

Feb 12, 2008
    North Georgia
    OK I waited for the hen to move the chicks into the nest box, and she ended up sleeping on the ground. The 2 hens are not getting along, and stay on opposite ends of the pen. I haven't let them out to free range yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by