2 broody hens are sharing chicks.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jenanneray, Sep 13, 2011.

1. jenanneray

jenanneray Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I thought they would fight over them. One hatched her own, and I gave the other chicks from an incubator hatch that was due the same day. So far no fighting, but will the peace last? Is this normal, our do I just have extraordinary broodies??
    [​IMG]

They sleep together over the chicks, share food, protect all the chicks, no arguing over any of them. The babies don't seem confused either. What do y'all think? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I'd say you have it made!! I hope the peace lasts! I do not know why it would not!

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    They are living animals. Anything can happen.

Quite often multiple broodies have no problems sharing the chicks and raising them together. Sometimes multiple broodies bond with their own chicks and leave others alone. Sometimes they try to kill the other hen's chicks or try to take over and raise them all, which can lead to a big fight.

Chickens are just not consistent. If they are getting along, you are doing well.

4. Wen00

Wen00 New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    I have 2 Slikie hens that did the same thing! They shared the nest, the eggs and keeping the babies warm and safe! Dont worry about a thing. Enjoy how cute it is. When the babies are old enough to be alone they will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by