2 broody hens = dead chicks ???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lamelde, Jun 12, 2011.

1. lamelde

lamelde Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2009
    Sparta, WI
    I have 2 broody hens so I put them in the same pen.

I've had several eggs hatch but every time I go check - the chicks are dead - I can hear the chirping in the egg so I know the chick was alive before hatching.

Is it possible that the 2 hens are fighting over the hatchlings and killing them?

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] I have 2 broodies sharing a nest and hatching out chicks right now. So far everyone is doing good. Are the chicks bloody/ pecked at?

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My one broody would kill and eat them [​IMG] Some are just not good mommies. OR do you have others in the coop that may be getting at them?

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Some people never have problems with broodies being together, but sometimes there are problems. Sometimes they fight over the chicks and the chicks get hurt in the fights. Sometimes one will kill the ones that hatch under the other hen, even if they are sharing a nest. I personally would separate them.

5. lamelde

lamelde Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2009
    Sparta, WI
    I did seperate them & it didn't help - she still killed the chick. She must be one of those that aren't good brooders. [​IMG]

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yup, just like Ridgerunner said, soe just aren`t good broodies. Don`t give her another chance.........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by